Sunday, March 8, 2009

ONE LIFE, ONE CHANCE

One life, One chance...Just so happens to be a very controversial phrase, to say the least. Don't get me wrong, controversy is good. It develops opinions and gives room for growth. However, the progress of controversy is hindered when closed-minded individuals refuse to be open to new meanings and concepts; when they refuse to rise to the challenge of making something out of this phrase. Mostly, progress is hindered because individuals continuously see things negatively, even though there is a chance to make a positive influence. Passion and creativity are lost in their one-minded crusade in search of "the right." Funny thing is, there is no "right," just a chance to make a positive difference and very few are rising to this challenge.

I don’t see ‘One Life, One Chance’ in a negative manner. I see it as a provocative and inspiring expression; a challenge to make a positive difference in our lives and the lives of others. I DO NOT see this phrase as saying, “You only have one life and therefore one chance. So if you fucked up your life or you messed up, you’re out of chances and there’s no hope for you.” This is the negative twist on what is meant to be a positive saying. I understand that people have gone through some shit and that they’ve risen from them; that they’ve had several chances to get their life back on track. Frankly, I don’t know anyone who hasn’t gone through the dirt or hit rock bottom, but they’ve always found a way to get back up. Simply put, I understand that life is all about chances (emphasis on the plural connotation)…

However, I don’t think that’s what the saying means… at least, not entirely. ‘One Life, One Chance’ says to me: This is my life. This is my time. I am here and now. This is my one chance to make a difference, my one chance to initiate change. This is my one chance to be someone and do something, my one chance to be a Christ-like example to others. This is my life, my living testimony and this is my chance to use it for good. Yes, I know human beings aren’t perfect. Yes, I believe Jesus Christ died on the cross for us, thus affording us many chances in our lives. But you see, Christ’s life here on Earth was His chance to make a change and WHAT A CHANGE HE MADE! ‘One Life, One Chance’ challenges me to follow Christ’s example and allow my life…my ONE LIFE, because it is my ONE CHANCE, to make a statement on this earth.
It’s One Life, One Chance. It is a challenge to be somebody and do something. Christ said, “Take up your cross and follow me.” Your life right NOW is your CHANCE to do that. Several will rise to this challenge, and yet some will “fall like seeds to the wayside,” scorched and withered by the sun, ready to be devoured by the fowls of the air.

One Life, One Chance. The rest is up to you.

No comments: